Resources for Practitioners
- For more information and resources about working with CALD communities in the context of family violence, visit the InTouch or 1800RESPECT websites.
- Family Safety Pack: The Australian Government’s Family Safety Pack, available in 22 community languages, has information on Australia’s laws regarding domestic and family violence, sexual assault, forced marriage and Partner Visas.
- Cultural competence when working with CALD communities A 1800RESPECT video guide.
- Improving Cross-Cultural Practice: strategies and resources for working with women from CALD backgrounds A 1800RESPECT video guide.
- Window of opportunity: cultural misunderstanding A 1800RESPECT video guide.
- Working with Muslim women on the effects of family violence and child sexual abuse on children An Australian Muslim Women’s Human Rights Centre guide.
- Challenging myths about culture and violence in migrant and refugee communities Fact Sheet
- Peninsula Legal Community Centre: Video on coercive control and on how to access some of the major support services
- Misidentification of migrant and refugee women Migrant and refugee women are around three times more likely to be misidentified as the predominant aggressor in family and domestic violence cases than their Australian-born counterparts.
Resources for Clients
- iTalk Multimedia resources for clients whose first language is a language is a language other than English.
- Peninsula Legal Community Centre Video on coercive control and on how to access some of the major support services (Dari subtitles)
- River Nile Learning Centre Developing essential English language, literacy, numeracy, life and work skills for young refugee and asylum seeker women. Services include childcare for students who are young mums, welfare support to resolve complex personal issues for students, and individualised learning and support
- Legal barriers for CALD women experiencing family violence: An InTouch report.
- What about the children? The voices of culturally and linguistically diverse children affected by family violence: An InTouch report.
- The Right to be Safe From Domestic Violence: Immigrant and Refugee Women in Rural Victoria: An InTouch report.
- Refugee settlement, safety and wellbeing: An InTouch report.
- Hearing Her Voice: A report from the kitchen table conversations held with CALD women in every state and territory between October 2014 and March 2015.
- State of Knowledge Paper: Promoting community-led responses to violence against immigrant and refugee women in metropolitan and regional Australia: This ANROWS ASPIRE project paper examines a broad range of national and international research.